Saturday, November 27, 2010

A few favourites

These images jumped out at me when I first saw them. I explained why below:

Nicholas Cage - Los Angeles 1998
I really like this portrait shot. Cage looks a strong and dominant figure in this image and for some reason I think the raw material used to make the bike shows this about him. Also like the brown effect that Corbijn used.

 Massive Attack - London 1998
The thing that strikes me about this image is that I get the feeling that 3D, (centre) is missing something that's happened out of shot, as he is looking directly at the camera. Corbijn of course has directed them how to pose in this way, however it also gives the impression that each member is coming from different music backgrounds with their own musical influence and talent, and the three or as it is two now, despite different influences collaborate so well. Maybe that says something considering Mushroom (left) split from the band. Also are we supposed to read anything from the arrow pointing out 3D?

 Depeche Mode - Marrakech 1996
I love the grainy effect to this coloured image. I see a lot of Corbijn's black and white images that have the same effect, however I didn't ever think it would look good in colour, well I got that one wrong. I also like the way Gahan, our primary character at the front of the shot is out of focus, and the rest of the band are in focus in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment